Renovated Custis Casey Barn
This is Don and Carol Lewis's late 1800's, early 1900's Custis Casey barn that was repurposed and renovated to
become a rustic atmosphere "getaway" home. We had our October MCHC meeting there yesterday and the Lewis's
couldn't have been more gracious and welcoming hosts. They both certainly knew the meaning of true Texas
The attached photos are from an informational packet that Carol provided to our group to help us understand
her family heritage. Malcolm Campbell Conoley was the founder of what is now known as the Conoley Community
Church(pastored by our own MCHC member, James Brymer and wife Patsy.
There is an interesting side story regarding the Arthur Gregory home move. County Road 441 has a narrow
bridge which prevented the home from being moved down the road in front of the property. As luck would have
it, the Lewis's had donated five acres to the Pleasant Retreat Church for expansion in 1974. That property
happened to be on the next County Road to the north directly behind the location of the home move. They went
over to the Church and stated that they were going to "Indian Give" the property for one day to move the home
over "hill and dale" and back pasture to its final resting place.
The Gregory home was built in the early 1900's and is nicely preserved. All the interior walls are the
original bead-board and in excellent condition after all those years. The Lewis's should be commended for
repurposing and preserving the historic heritage of these structures for future generation to enjoy.
Jack Brooks - MCHC