You are invited to attend the
MILAM COUNTY COURTHOUSE
RECORDED TEXAS HISTORIC LANDMARK DEDICATION
to be held July 4, 2009, on the grounds of
the courthouse at 10:00 a.m.
A Recorded Texas Historic Landmark is a legal designation.
It is the highest honor the state can bestow on a historic
structure. The restoration, completed in 2002, qualified
the Milam County Courthouse for this honor. A RTHL marker
will be unveiled on the courthouse grounds.
'Landmark’ honor due courthouse
Ceremony will mark 117 years since first dedication
The Rockdale Reporter
June 25, 2009
July 4 is the date set for the Milam County Courthouse in Cameron to receive the
Recorded Texas Historical Landmark (RTHL) marker from the Texas Historical Commission.
The ceremony will begin at 10 a.m., according to Milam County Judge Frank Summers.
“Awarding of this accolade sets in place one more honor for this wonderful old
building,” Summers said. “The designation is the highest honor which can be bestowed
on a building by the Texas Historical Commission.
Very strict standards are used by the Commission in awarding this marker.”
Highlighting the event will be the keynote address by the head of the Architectural
Division of the Texas Historical Commission, Stan Graves. Graves is a native of Sharp
in Milam County and owns a home in that area.
Reviewing the restoration of the present courthouse will be Joy Graham who was a
member of the Phase I Preserve Our Past Committee and was chair of the Phase II POP
Committee. This committee led the fund-raising
and planning for the Courthouse restoration. Also featured on the program will be the
Communities in Concert Band and Cameron Boy Scout Troop 752. Amy Ellsworth, Dee Green,
Geri Burnett and Jackie Thornton will also take part.
The present Cameron structure, the 1892 Courthouse, was first dedicated on July 4,
1892. It was preceded by three structures, the first of which was built in Cameron
soon after the seat of county government was moved from Nashville to Cameron in 1837.
The new county seat was named Cameron in honor of Captain Ewen Cameron, a hero of the
Texas Revolution. The second courthouse was a brick building located on the present
little is known about this structure or the third building. The Courthouse burned in
1874, thus losing many of the archives of the county. After the fire, the county
apparently limped along with a substandard building until a new courthouse was
authorized in 1889.
On July 4, 1891 San Andres Masonic Lodge No. 170 laid the cornerstone for the present
building. Reknowned architects Lamour and Watson presented their report to county
commissioners on April 20, 1892, at which time it was accepted by commissioners. The
stone arrived from Brook School Furniture in Dallas. It was moved into the Courthouse
Planning for the ceremony scheduled for July 4 is being coordinated by Jackie Thornton
of the Milam County Historical Commission. The ceremony is sponsored by the MCHC, co-
chaired by Geri Burnett of Rockdale and Dee Dee Green of Cameron.
Milam County’s restored
courthouse will receive a
Recorded Texas Historical
Landmark marker from the state
historical commission on July 4.
Stan Graves, THC official and
Milam County native, will give
the keynote address. An
extensive restoration project
was completed in July 2002.