We're Banking on You
A History of Rockdale
Rockdale State Bank
May 20, 1979
Don C. Luckey
Born in Rockdale, Texas, Don C. Luckey lived his
entire life here. His interest in sports andyoung
people led to his involvement in such youth-oriented
projects as the Little league.
Upon the death of his father, Mr. Luckey became a
partner in Phillips and Luckey Funeral Company, the
Rockdale Memorial Company and Phillips and Luckey
Insurance Co. He was also a partner in Newton and
Luckey, the firm which built the the Rockdale
Mr Luckey was made a director of Rockdale State
Bank in 1969 and served until his death in April of
Johnny G. Ralston, Jr.
Mr. Ralston's association with Rockdale State Bank
began when he joined the bank as a teller. He was
later made assistant cashier, and in 1962 became Vie-
President. In 1966, he was made a director.
Born in nearby Thorndale on January 11,1925, Mr.
Ralston later served his country in the Navy during
World War II, spending 27 months aboard a U.S.
Aircraft carrier in the Pacific.
His Civic activities were many and varied. He
served for 12 years on the Rockdale School Board, was
member of the Noon Lions Club, honorary member of FFA
Chapter of the local school, member of the Chamber of
Commerce, and a deacon of the First Christian Church.
Born in Bowie, Texas, Ted Ryan lived in Rockdale
most of his life. He was a well-known figure in the
financial business of Rockdale. His name was
synonymous with the Rockdale State Bank where he
served as President for many years.
He was a longstanding member of the official Board
of the Methodist Church. He was a director of the
Association of State Chartered Banks, President of
the Chamber of Commerce , member of the Rotary Club,
first President of the Young Men's Business League,
member of the Texas Bankers' Association, member of
the Rockdale City Council, and a member of the Lions
Mr Ryan served as President of Rockdale State Bank
until his death in 1962.
M. Murrell Camp
Born January 12, 1896 in San Gabriel, Mr. Camp was
one of the county's best known and most popular
He was a director of Rockdale State Bank for 18
years, and was named Chairman of the Board in 1965.
Mr. Camp was a farmer and stockman of the San
Gabriel community all of his life. In Rockdale, he
served as President of the Chamber of Commerce,
President of the Rotary Club, and was a 32nd Degree
He died January 16, 1966 at the age of 70.
In keeping with the tradition set by their
predecessors, the members of the present Board of
Directors continue to be active in civic affairs.
Michael L. Allen
Michael L. Allen came to Rockdale in 1976 when he
joined Rockdale State Bank as a vice president. He has
been associated with banking since obtaining his BBA
degree in Business and Finance from Southwest Texas
State University in 1969. A former National Bank
Examiner, Mr. Allen was elected President and Director
of the bank in 1977.
Mr Allen is currently serving as President of
Rockdale's Rotary Club, and is a member of the Board of
Directors of Richards Memorial Hospital . He is also
active in the Rockdale Fair Association, Chamber of
Commerce, Rockdale Industrial Foundation and the
Frank C. Anderson
Frank C. Anderson was elected to the Board of
Rockdale State Bank in April, 1972 and has served
continuously since that date.
Mr Anderson holds an LLB degree from Houston Law
School and has been a licensed attorney (Texas) and a
member of the Texas State Bar since 1936. He is a
Certified Public Accountant (Texas) having been
licensed in 1947.
Mr. Anderson retired in 1968 as Comptroller of Gulf
Oil Corporation, after 35 years of service with Gulf.
Since establishment of his residence in Rockdale in
1968, he has been actively engaged in developing and
managing his 500-acre ranch. He has been very active in
civic affairs, having served from 1972 to 1977 as a
member of the Executive Committee, Secretary-Treasurer
1972-1973 and Chairman 1974-1977 of Big 8 RC & D; and
having served as President of Southwest Milam Water
Supply Corporation 1973-1977.
Emery C. Camp
Emery C. Camp has practiced law in Rockdale since
1965. He has been a member of the Board of Education
of Rockdale Independent School District since 1967 and
is currently President of the Board of Trustees of
Mr Camp is Past Director of the Noon Lions Club, Past
Director and Vice President of the South Milam County
United Way, Past Director of the Lucy Hill Patterson
Memorial Library, Past Director and Vice President of
the Chamber of Commerce, Past President and Past
Director of the Rockdale Country Club.
Mr. Camp is presently President and Chairman of the
Board of Directors of Richards Memorial Hospital.
Carroll W. Glaser
Carroll W. Glaser has practiced law in Rockdale since
1967, having graduated from the University of Texas
School of law with a degree of Doctor of Jurisprudence.
Mr. Glaser is presently serving as a member of the
School Board, Secretary-treasurer of the Board of
Directors of Richards Memorial Hospital and President
of the Board of Directors of the Rockdale Industrial
Foundation. He is Past Director and President of the
Rockdale Chamber of Commerce, Past Director and
President and the Country Club, Past President and
member of the Rotary Club. He was also elected to the
Charter Committee and was instrumental in writing a new
charter for the City of Rockdale. Mr Glaser also
served as Democratic Chairman of Milam County for
W. P Hogan
W. P. Hogan , Mayor of Rockdale from 1950 to 1956 and
a member of the City Council from 1948 to 1950 has
resided in Rockdale since 1940. He has numerous
business interests in the Rockdale area, and has a
lengthy history of civic involvement.
His many activities include serving as a member of
the School Board since 1960, fourteen of those years
(1964-1978) as its President. He has also served as
President of the Milam County United Way, Director of
the Rockdale Chamber of Commerce, President of the
Young Men's Business League (now Chamber of Commerce),
Commander of the American Legion and Director of the
East Texas Chamber of Commerce. He is a 32nd Degree
Mason and member of the Shrine.
Currently, he is a member of the Rockdale School
Board, Director of the Rockdale Sandow and Southern
Railroad and a Director of Richards Memorial Hospital.
John T. Richards, M.D.
A Rockdale native, Dr. John T. Richards has
practiced medicine in Rockdale for over thirty years.
His great contribution to the City of Rockale was given
recognition in 1974, when Richards Memorial Hospital
After obtaining an undergraduate degree in biology
from St. Mary's University in San Antonio, he entered
the University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston in
1939 where he received his medical degree.
Dr. Richards is a well-loved and well-respected
member of the community, active in several
organizations. He is a charter member of the Rockdale
Lions Club, a director of Richards Memorial Hospital
and a past member of the Rockdale School Board. He
also serves on the Board of Governors of his alma
mater St. Mary's University in San ANtonio.
Click on these three pages to see the detail of the Financial Statements