B. H. Benjamin Bryant and Bryant Station
Bit of History by Joy Graham
Benjamin Franklin Bryant, one of the early settlers to Milam County, was born on March
15, 1800 in Wilkes County, Georgia. The name was originally Bryan, however after they
came to America they changed the name to Bryant.
Benjamin married Roxanna Price in South Carolina and had seven children. His second wife
Rebecca Parker also had seven children.
He was one of the earliest pioneers to Texas. He fought in the Battle of San Jacinto and
was later appointed Indian Agent by President of The Texas Republic of Texas. He made his
mark in Milam County by building a fort on three thousand acres. Bryant’s log cabin and
the fort were built on the north side of Little River. In 1840 Bryant Station had a
population of 260. The U. S. Army Station was established to keep Native American tribes
out of the Republic of Texas capital at Washington on the Brazos. The station became an
important stage coach stop on the route to Austin.
In 1860 the U.S. Census List revealed a large Irish population. The fort became known as
a trading center but was abandoned in the 1870’s when the Railroad centers came through
By 1909 as more people came to this area of Texas, a bridge was needed to cross the
river. Milam County Commissioner’s court contracted with C. Q. Horton, Austin Texas as
agent for Chicago Bride and Iron Company to build a camelback-through truss of 200 foot
span bridge on cylindrical concrete columns. Approaching spans were supported on I-beams
which brought the structure’s total length to 343 ft. in length.
The original bridge built in 1909 connected Buckholts, Cameron and Davila to the Old Corn
Hill Road to the west and to Georgetown. Both the restored pedestrian Bridge and the new
structure were dedicated in 2003 and are located on County Road 106.
The old bridge remains intact at its original location with the county purchasing right
of way for the new bridge which spans 420 foot with a 30 foot clear roadway width. It was
preserved as a foot bridge with a five year obligation to maintain the historic bridge
for foot traffic.
Milam County 1994 Distinguished Service Application to THC, Austin, TX
Temple Daily Telegram 1-19-2003 “New Bridge replaces steel trestle over Little River” by Jeanne Williams
Bit of History