From Rockdale: 14 miles north on FM487
A farming and ranching community, Sharp traces its
origins to the years immediately after the Civil War
when settlers, attracted by the fertile black soil,
began arriving in this area. The first business, a
store, opened in 1892. It was soon joined by a
blacksmith shop and the Davis General Store in 1896.
Cotton was the principal crop of the area, and a gin
opened in 1896. When a post office was established here
in 1901, the name Sharp was chosen to honor Dr. William
F. Sharp, a physician in Davilla (8 mi. W). An annual
reunion of Sharp residents began in 1978.