Port Sullivan Cemetery
Port Sullivan Black Cemetery
January 22, 2009
Port Sullivan Cemetery given ‘historic’ status on Sunday
January 18, 2009
Port Sullivan Cemetery was dedicated as a Texas Historic Cemetery on Sunday, in a
ceremony sponsored by San Andres Masonic Lodge No. 170 AF & AM and the Milam County
Hank Clore, secretary and past master of San Andres Lodge, unveiled the Texas Historic
Cemetery Marker as he read the marker inscription.
Jackie Thornton, Milam County Historical Commission Marker Chair, gave the historical
overview of Port Sullivan, one of the earliest communities in Milam County.
This cemetery contains the grave of the first Mason to come to Texas, Thomas J.
Anderson. Casey Stanislaw read a biography of Anderson. His tombstone is one of grand
statue, Anderson was in office in 1871 when he died.
Remarks were given by the Honorable W. David Counts, Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of
Texas. Benediction was given by E.J. Provasek, chaplain and past master of San Andres
Those attending this ceremony included masons from State and local Masonic Chapters,
the Texas Historical Commission, families that have grave plots there and those with an
interest in the history of the area and county. Approximately 125 people participated.
Volunteer Dean Trubee had worked for several years prior to his death on restoring the
cemetery. His dedication and devotion to cleaning up the briar-infested cemetery drew
many people to become involved in the restoration of the cemetery that led to applying
for the historical marker. Joe Wallace of San Andres Lodge presented Mrs. Trubee with
a plaque to commemorate her
A reception was held after the dedication at the Branchville Community Center.
Master of ceremonies was Casey Stanislaw, Master, San Andres Lodge. Rev. Charles
Wyatt, Assistant Pastor of Old Providence Baptist Church, gave the invocation, followed
by the posting of the colors by Edwin Hardy Post No. 9 American Legion, Gerald Elliot,
The National Anthem was performed by Eddie Mora on trumpet, and the Pledge of
Allegiance to the U. S. and Texas Flag was led by Willyne Stanislaw of the Milam County
Above left, W. David Counts, Grand Master of the Masonic
Grand Lodge of Texas, spoke at Sunday’s event.
Above right, historical commission members pose with Masons
at the new marker.
From Branchville/FM 485: east to CR 260;
1.5 miles north on CR 260 to CR 259;
cemetery is 100 yards on left
In 1851, Reuben Anderson encouraged development of a
townsite on Augustus Sullivan's land; two of
Andersons's sons bought the first lots sold in Port
Sullivan. The town benefited from River navigation
and grew to include stores, a sawmill, a college,
and a population of over one thousand. In 1867,,
St. Paul's Masonic Lodge No. 177 bought five acres
for a community cemetery. One notable burial is
that of Thomas J. H. Anderson (d. 1871), Grand
Master of the Grand Lodge of Texas. The town
declined when bypassed by Railroads, and today the
cemetery is the only landmark left of this once-
thriving settlement. Since 2004, the San Andres
Masonic Lodge No. 170 of Cameron has cared for the
Historic Texas Cemetery - 2006