Mount Zion Baptist Church
From US 77 & FM 1712 intersection in Minerva,
turn south onto FM 1712 for 1.4 miles to
Church and Cemetery
From Rockdale US 79:
north on FM 487 1.9 mi.
Then north 3.6 mi. on
FM 1712 to church.
Pleasant Grove Baptist Church, organized in 1872 (4.5
mi. W), and Fellowship Baptist Church, formed about
1877 in Minerva (2 mi. N), merged in 1895 to form
Mount Zion Baptist Church. The Rev. N. J. Dyer served
as first pastor. Services were held in a building
relocated to two acres here in 1895. In 1941
membership expanded, a Women's Missionary Union was
formed, and the church joined the Milam County
Association. Over the years new facilities have been
built, including a new sanctuary in 1982. The church
continues to be active in missionary outreach and
community educational programs.
Sesquicentennial of Texas Statehood 1845 - 1995
View of cemetery from front of Church