Milam County Historical Commission
Milam County, Texas
Milam County Historical Commission - Milam County, TX
Statue of Ben Milam at Milam County, TX Courthouse
Old Junior High School Building, Rockdale, TX
Milam County Courthouse - Cameron, TX
Preserve America
Williams-Atkinson Homestead
Maysfield, TX

NOTE: Could not locate with these directions:
From SH36/US190:
1.5 mi E on SH 485, S on CR 255
This house, built in 1893, was the vision of Thomas
Herbert Williams, a South Carolina native and
descendant of Rhode Island founder Roger Williams, and
his wife Emma (Massengale). An officer in the Palmetto
Sharpshooters of the Confederate Army, he left his home
state shortly after the Civil War and arrived in Milam
County in 1866. Williams became a prosperous landowner
in Texas, accumulating approximately 5,000 acres over
time. He was a major cotton producer in the central
Texas region and built his own cotton gin. Thomas and
Emma made plans to build a residence at this site, but
he passed away before its completion. She finished the
homestead in 1893 and successfully ran the farm and
household. Eldest daughter Amelia Worthington Williams
subsequently raised her four sisters following Emma's
death in 1897; all five received college degrees.
Amelia studied history at the University of Texas,
where she earned a doctorate, becoming an authority on
the Battle of the Alamo. Her research provided the
names of the defenders later memorialized at the San
Antonio shrine. Another Williams daughter, Harriett
Emily, married Hubert Leland Atkinson, who assumed
management of the estate after Emma's death. Family
descendants have since continued to manage and maintain
the historic property for well over a century. The
Williams-Atkinson House features Folk Victorian styling
with a modified two-story gable front and wing plan,
assymetrical fašade, and double gallery porches on the
front and rear. Other details include cutaway bays on
the front and side elevations, spindlework friezes and
jigsawn corner brackets and balustrades.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2006
Erected 2006