From Maysfield: north on FM 485 approx. 2.5
miles, east on FM 979 approx. 3.5 miles;
From Cameron: 13.5 miles on 485, then east on FM
979 approx. 3.5 miles.
Organized in 1849 with eight members. Met in
local homes for worship. First building was a
small log cabin. Church grew as settlers entered
area. In 1855 70 members joined congregation
following a three-day revival. Church was center
of social life here, as throughout rural Texas.
Important members sat in front, in "Amen Pews."
Had separate sides for men, women. Present
building was finished in 1873 by church together
with Masonic Lodge. Cemetery started in early
days. The structure was enlarged to present size