6th St. between N. Orchard & MLK
O.J. Thomas High School Early efforts to serve the
educational needs of Cameron's African American
students centered on church instruction at a place
called "Little Rocky" Church in the Marlow Community.
In 1923, Oscar John Thomas (1894-1977) joined the
district to serve as principal and teacher. Under his
leadership, the district secured financing from the
Julius Rosenwald fund and built a new facility in
1925. The school was renamed for Thomas in 1938.
Thirty years later, during integration, the facility
became Cameron Junior High. A 1974 petition changed
the name back to O.J. Thomas. In 1995, the junior high
closed, and in 1998, the building was sold to an
alumni group for use as a community center. (2002)