marker located in Jail Museum
Now enclosed, original cabin on site
was built of logs and bricks both made
nearby, 1847. Owner was George Green
(1813-1885), prominent early surveyor
and soldier in Battle of San Jacinto.
Home was among Cameron's first. Boards
were added in 1850s. About 1900, R. L.
Batte, Sr., an oil mill owner, law
officer, and capitalist, purchased
home. Over years, both owners added
rooms. Batte reared his children and
many orphans in this house. Recorded
Texas Historic Landmark - 1969