Cameron City Park
next to Cameron Gospel Tabernacle
4th St. W (US 190) & Lamar Ave
Cameron, TX 76520
Boyhood home of L. S. "Sul" Ross (1838-1898), Texas
Governor from 1887 to 1891. His father Shapley P.
Ross, Indian agent and Ranger, built house after
moving here about 1841; he chose this site because it
had a good spring. L. S. Ross, who was a Confederate
general, served as president of Texas A.&M. College
after holding office as governor.
In 1890 this pavilion was erected to accommodate band
concerts, meetings and rallies. It was the scene in
1892 of a landmark debate between two gubernatorial
candidates: Gov. James S. Hogg and George Clark.