Milam County Historical Commission
Milam County, Texas
Milam County Historical Commission - Milam County, TX
Statue of Ben Milam at Milam County, TX Courthouse
Old Junior High School Building, Rockdale, TX
Milam County Courthouse - Cameron, TX
Preserve America
Burlington Cemetery

From US 77: 1 mile east on CR 133B
Members of the German Evangelical Lutheran Church of
Burlington established this cemetery in 1917. Land for
the cemetery once belonged to Michael and John Jones,
founders of the town of Burlington. The church
purchased the cemetery property from John Helpert, who
acquired it from the Jones family. Neighboring St.
Michaelís Cemetery had already been established for
use by Catholic residents, and there was need for a
burial ground to serve Lutherans and other non-
Catholic residents. The earliest recorded interment
here dates to 1917. The Burlington Church merged with
the Vogelsang Lutheran Church in 1953, forming the
United Evangelical and Reformed Church of Ben Arnold,
which became overseer of the Burlington Cemetery. In
1957, following another merger, the United Church of
Christ became the property administrator. The
Burlington Cemetery Association now cares for and
maintains the cemetery, which continues to serve as a
burial ground for Burlington area residents, as well
as for descendants of former residents of the
community. Historic Texas Cemetery - 2004
Erected 2004