3.3 miles south of Buckholts on FM 1915
Lewis cemetery gets historical marker
Rockdale Reporter, September 25, 2008
The historic Lewis Family Cemetery near Buckholts was honored by the unveiling of a
Texas Historical Marker on Saturday, Sept. 20.
The ceremony was attended by about 100 people including 50-plus Lewis/Curry decedents
along with local dignitaries, family friends and members of the Milam County Historical
Master of ceremony, Bob Powell, introduced Buckholts Mayor, Hal Senkel, who welcomed the
family decedents to Buckholts and offered his support for this historic occasion.
Then introduced was Jackie Thornton, vicechairperson and marker chairperson of the Milam
County Historical Commission, who discussed the process that was required for historic
designation. Thornton then introduced attending members of the Milam County Historic
Commission. Those attending were Mary Ann Eanes, Dolores Sonntag and Dr. Lucille Estell,
chairperson of the commission. Dr. Estell then addressed attendees with some of the
incites to recognizing and importance of preserving historic sites such as this.
The unveiling ceremony then was conducted with senior family members, Beatrice
Kestenbaum of Cameron, Dorothy Jean Gause of Gause, Betty Laird of Montgomery and Nelsie
Love Chumlea of Fort Worth.
Joining them, as a symbol of passing heritage to the next generations were all direct
descendants pre-teen children including Dakota Powell, Lindsey Powell, Charley Cummins,
Loren Marie Green, John Jennings, Mark Jennings, Ben Culver, Lee Culver and Nickolas
In 1832, Thomas Curry, as a member of Sterling C. Robertsonís Nashville Colony, received
as a grant, one league of land reaching from the Little River north to the South Elm
Creek. The league containing 4428 acres included what is now the City of Buckholts.
Thomas died before he could settle and his son, David Curry, wife Jane (who is also
buried here) and their children including Anne Elizabeth Curry moved onto the southern
part of the grant in 1847. Indians roamed the land and times were hard. Ann Elizabeth
Curry married Squire Lewis, who was the fi rst Justice of Peace in the Corinth
Community, a charter mason in Cameron, one of the builders of the fi rst Milam County
Courthouse in Cameron as well as a Civil War Volunteer.
Five generations of the Lewis/Curry family are buried here with the last being Betty
Kensil Lewis in 1955.
The cemetery is maintained by families with the centerpiece a huge oak tree said to be
over 500 years old.
Following the dedication, the Lewis Family reunion was held at the Buckholts Community
Center with many friends and guests attending.
Members of the Lewis family dedicated a historical marker at the family cemetery