Milam County Historical Commission
Milam County, Texas
Milam County Historical Commission - Milam County, TX
Statue of Ben Milam at Milam County, TX Courthouse
Old Junior High School Building, Rockdale, TX
Milam County Courthouse - Cameron, TX
Preserve America
Bryant Station
Buckholts, TX
Marker is located on SH36/US190 picnic area
approximately 6 miles west of Buckholts

Bryant Station
Pioneer village of Milam County established as an
Indian trading post by Major Benjamin F. Bryant,
frontiersman who had commanded a company in the
Battle of San Jacinto. Appointed Indian Agent in
1842 by Sam Houston, President of the Republic of
Texas. Little River Crossing on trail and stage
routes. U. S. Post Office, 1848-1874
To Bryant Station from Buckholts, go northwest on
SH36 4.1 miles. Then southwest on CR104 for 4.0
miles, (the road will make a right angle turn to
the southeast) then turn southwest on CR106 0.8
miles to the Bryant Station Bridge.

Erected 1936
Bryant Station Historical Marker, Buckholts, Milam, TX
Bryant Station Rest Area Historical Marker, Buckholts, Milam, TX
Texas 36th Division Memorial Higway Historical Marker, Buckholts, Milam, TX
Bryant Station Historical Marker, Buckholts, Milam, TX
Major Bryant's home
and trading post
stood six miles
southeast of this
marker
Erected 1936
The Texas 36th Division Memorial Highway
Organized July 18, 1917 at Camp Bowie, Texas,
the 36th Division was composed of National
Guard units from the states of Texas and
Oklahoma and traced a part of its lineage to
the Washington Guards of the Texas Revolution. 
During World War I the 36th Division
participated in the San Mihiel Offensive and
the Meuse-Argonne Offensive with the French
Army near St. Etienne-A-Armes and in the
liberation of Rheims having spent twenty-three
days in active sectors.  The Division captured
549 prisoners and suffered 2,528 casualties.


In 1920 the Division was reorganized with only Texas elements and was inducted into
active duty on November 25, 1940. The Division was sent to North Africa in April 1943. 
In September, 1943 the 36th was part of the amphibious landing near Paestum on the Gulf
of Salerno, the first American troops to fight on the Mainland of Europe in World War
II. The Division became part of the Campaign on the Winter line near Mignano, and
particularily at San Pietro.  On May 18, 1944, the 36th participated in the Anzio
Beachhead Operations.  After completing the Italian Campaign, the Division was part of
the amphibious landing near San Raphael and Freius in August, 1944.  The 36th fought
along the Rhone River Valley until it crossed the Moselle River, advancing through
Lyon, Bourg, Besancon and Vesoul in September, 1944.  The Division fought extensively
through Germany, capturing such notables as Field Marshall Von Runstedt and Air
Marshall Goering.  During World War II the 36th Division spent 400 days in actual
combat, having fought five Campaigns in four countries.  The Division captured 175,806
of the enemy and suffered 27,343 casualties, the third highest casualty rate of all
American Divisions.  The Colors of the 36th Division were retired at Camp Mabry,
Austin, Texas on April 1, 1980.

The Texas Highway Department designated State Highway 36 as a Memorial to the 36th
Division in 1944 and the 67th Texas Legislature funded the marking of State Highway 36
in 1981.
                       Commissioners Move Deed of Bryant Bridge
                         Rockdale Reporter - December 12, 2013

CAMERON Milam County Commissioners voted to move deed ownership of the Bryant Station Bridge, located on County Road 275 at the Little River near Buckholts, during their regular meeting on Monday at the Milam County Courthouse.

The court voted to move the deed to the Bryant Station Cemetery Association. Other agenda times included fianncial updates and court case updates from various county officials.