Editor’s note: This is the second article in the sixth series of “On the Other Side of the Tracks,” a Black History Month series by former Rockdale resident, and longtime teacher, Susie Sansom-Piper
Here are more organizations who played a big role in the community life in Rockdale’s “other side of the tracks.”
Busy Fingers and Fancy Doers Art Club
The Busy Fingers and Fancy Doers was organized by Eula Bell Moultry.
Local women who enjoyed craft work, and helped with community projects, and many other functions, made up this club.
It was affiliated with the Texas Federation of Clubs, Mary Church Division, and the National Federation of Women’s Clubs in Washington, D. C.
The club traveled to various art shows to display their works, and often won outstanding prizes. Some of the members were Area Moore, Esther Maloy, Lucy Moore, Bessie Beals, Artelia Chandler, and Myrtle M. Tindle.
Aycock Parent-Teacher Association (PTA)
During the many years of Aycock High School’s existence, and especially in the late 1940’s and 1950’s, there was a very active Parent-Teacher Association.
This group consisted of a variety of citizens of the black community.
Most of the members had children enrolled in the school system but, ironically, the PTA president, Mrs Clemmie Goins, had no children.
This was a dedicated group, for they often provided equipment that was needed at Aycock, such as band instruments, band uniforms, and other needed items.
Also providing much of their time were Evelyn Snelgro, Lucy Moore, Overton Smith, Freddie Gray, Tommie Sanders, Selma Turner, and other workers who contributed in various ways.
National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP)
The NAACP was an active organization in the Rockdale area during the 50s through the 80s.
It operated under the leadership of Evelyn Snelgro and Elihue Wilbon, and was successful in presenting many issues which concerned the citizens who occupied land “on the other side of the tracks.”
East Side Scholarship Fund (1984)
The first East Side Scholarship Fund was established by Vedozell Molden Tindle and her late husband, Leroy Tindle.
Each student on the East Side was presented with a $50 savings bond to help further their education.
In 1994, the program was accepted by the East Side Tutoring Program, and a gift from Mrs. Tindle.
School, Civic Groups Contributed
By Susie Sansom-Piper
Rockdale Reporter - February 14, 2013
ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE TRACKS, SERIES 6, PART 2
Milam County Historical Commission
Milam County, Texas
All credit for these articles go to
Susie Sansom-Piper and
the Rockdale Reporter
In this historic photo, Clemmie Goins (standing) addresses other members of the Aycock PTA at the school.