ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE TRACKS, SERIES 4, PART 5
Aycock band kept the beat from 1952-66
by Susie Sansom-Piper
Rockdale Reporter - March 3, 2011
Another source of great entertainment for the community was the Aycock Tiger Band.
This band became a reality in 1952. Actually it all began in 1951 when the pep squad
marched to the beat of a big bass drum and a snare drum.
The first band instructor was Jerry L. Givens who came on a part-time basis two or three
times a week and taught instrumentation to some of the students.
FIRST DIRECTOR - In 1952, Theaul Howard was hired as the first band instructor. He
performed miracles with a group of fifth through 11th-grade students, transforming about
40 students into marching and concert bands within a four-month period.
Many of these students could barely carry their instruments, but through the insistence
of their band instructor, they competed in the state contest at Prairie View A& M and
earned a Division I (Superior) rating in Class A band.
Their first uniforms consisted of blue jeans and a white shirt. The majorette uniforms
were designed and made by Bessie Beals, a local seamstress.
Most of the instruments were rented from the J. R. Reed Music Company for few were able
to qualify for ownership.
By 1954, through an organized Band Boosters Club and the Parent Teacher Association,
special funds were raised and the band was able to purchase their first and only
From this band, some of the members were selected to play in Aycock’s Stage Band.
TRAVELING BAND - They not only entertained in the community, but became famous for
establishing a traveling show and presenting it to surrounding schools and communities.
This group had special vocal groups and a dancing ensemble.
Their travels were throughout Milam, Lee, Burleson and Williamson counties.
Through these performances, they were able to purchase needed music and other items for
After the resignation of Theaul Howard, “Rebeat” Robinson followed for a short time.
He was succeeded by Benjamin Timmons and Clarence Moore.
The band ceased because of integration in 1966 and band members were transferred to the
Rockdale High School Band.
Historic photo shows band at attention in front
of the old Aycock High School band building.